Thursday 2 June 2011

Wish list


I finally succumbed to my Amazon wishlist this week and got some books for me and the kids. I got this Papertoy Monsters book after making some from my mum's copy of the book with the kids.

 Squidbeak: coincidentally, my nickname
this is a joke: do not call me squidbeak

It's brilliant, probably suitable for kids 7 or 8 years + due to all the sticking required.


You press the monsters out from the page and then follow the very well laid out instructions to stick the monsters together. You need double sided tape.

 This takes me back to the Walking Dead, 
or maybe earlier this morning just after I woke up

In truth, the kids chose them and I made them, but I enjoyed it, and they liked playing with them after.


Anyway, I bought a copy as I thought it would make a great boy's birthday present (or girl's). I find boys particularly hard to buy for when my daughter gets invited to the occasional boy party. As far as I can tell they mostly like fighting and running around and what can you buy for that?

Me at meal time
I eat with a trowel

Next up, with my daughter's 7th birthday looming, I read a review of this book in the paper and it looked brilliant, so here it is.



I loved bubble-writing when I was little and so this really appealed - How to be the best bubble writer ever.

cup cake bubble writing

shooting stars bubble writing

ribbon bubble writing - could this book be any more girly?
next up kitten writing and cuddly toy bubble writing

grrr monster writing, that's better

and robot bubble writing


And finally for me, I bought the book with the worst title ever - Hand Job. Basically it's the adult version of the bubble writing book, with hand drawn fonts and other very cool illustrations. It's full of so much inspiration of things to draw and design, a feast for your eyes.

Last photo is my studio*

Ideally I'd like to have the young' un doing some bubble writing while I flick through this book, but no. It's half term, it's a glorious day and the although the wind has droppped considerably since I made the promise earlier, we are off to fly a kite. Or drag it along the grass for half an hour, i'll see how things pan out.



*This is a lie.

3 comments:

  1. i remember bubble writing, its all we ever did for every project we ever did at school! these versions are much cooler though, love the cake one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the papertoy monsters book, can't believe the name of the last one!
    Re boys presents - I have two boys (8 and 7) who spend most of their time running aroud fighting and playing some kind of sport. Presents? - swords and shields, they love them (but their mums won't!) or things like The Guiness Book of Records (suits their weird addiction to facts). juliex

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think I'd like the monsters book and I'm a 19 year old girl!
    But that sounds like a brilliant present

    ReplyDelete