Thursday 26 January 2012

The amazing technicoloured dream quilt





So finally the amazing technicoloured dream quilt is finished. I can hardly believe I have managed to finish a project of this size. This achievement has left me with an enormous sense of pride/relief/surprise.


Binding it took a few days, due to the size, there was a lot of slip-stitching to be done. But I really enjoyed this, picking it up where I could, slowly progressing along the sides. I think it's the first time since giving up my day job that I feel like I have been spending my time how I hoped I would be. Once my various jobs of the day were finished I managed to squeeze in a hour of sewing before picking the kids up.

Inevitably, the combination of me sat down with a quilt attracted some wildlife...


... which is turn attracted further wildlife...


I bound the quilt using some hugs and kisses, and hand quilted a few flowers.

hand quilted flowers

And finally we get to use it without dodging pins, and it is oh, so cozy. Every night I see the kids snuggle underneath it in that final wind-down at the end of the day. Despite whatever child-based shenanigans will have inevitably preceded that moment, it feels like all is good in the world.


I feel a little sorry for the kids that in my house, no moment seems to escape being captured on camera. But when just me and my girl were up on Friday night, I had to reach for my phone and capture this one incase I forgot it.


So, what to sew next? finishing this quilt has left me keen to get sewing on something else but equally lacking in motivation as to what. I would like it to involve this, but what to make?

15 comments:

  1. Quilt looks fantastic and I just know with all the flannel that it feels incredible too! XO perfect for binding

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, kate! You've inspired me to finish my Hexie quilt with the Loulouthi flannel backing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very, very beautiful Kate, I love the way all the colours work together. Hope you're proud of yourself?! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow and gasp in Awe. That is such a lot of work, and adorable combination of fabric's and colours. Fabulous! You will all enjoy it for decades to come ( what a scary thought!! But it is an heirloom, isnt it?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie, I hadn't even thought about that, what a wonderful (if scary) thought!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love it - so bright and happy - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quilt it looks really good. Recently bought a quilting book has some great project ideas. Called Quilting in no time, I'm sure you'd find something in that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's stunning. Make me one next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, come down and look after the kids for 3 or 4 days and I'll definitely sort one out for you! deal?

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's gorgeous! I wasn't so sure when I saw the combination of fabrics - back in your planning stage - but it works really well. It looks really lovely on the bed and I bet the flannel is wonderfully cosy too. I love flannel fabric and I recently suggested to my husband that we get an entirely flannel bedset for the winter months. He rather crushingly pointed out that as I like to wear flannel PJs in the winter, I'd be completely unable to move in this cosy combination. He's far too practical for my liking...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Anna Maria Horner's fabric, and you've done it justice in that lovely quilt. Hope you find your inspiration for the next project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is just so beautiful and I bet it is super snuggly too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this quilt. those colors are dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may just have been persuaded to use more brights in my quilting instead of my go to palette of soft pinks, greens,creams and blues.

    ReplyDelete