Friday 28 June 2013

Made: Medallion quilt


I was looking through some of my photos yesterday and realised that whilst I blogged endlessly about the making of my Medallion quilt I never actually got round to showing you the finished quilt.


I added a bit of detail to the backing which is new to me. Partly because the fabric wasn't wide enough (and the quilt wasn't wide enough to justify using an extra wide backing). Also because I had some big pieces left of my favourite fabrics and I wanted to use them up.


I had intended to quilt it in quarters, doing an L shape from one side to the other in a right angle. But I lost my way in the middle of the first stretch and came back at an angle rather than 90 degrees. It was a happy accident as I really like the end result (and wouldn't have thought of it otherwise). It gives a kind of union jack effect.


I also used Heirloom batting for the first time which is lovely, it gave a bit more squidge than the Warm and Natural but not too much. 


I pre-washed it despite all advice to the contrary and it did go a bit out of shape. I always feel compelled to pre-wash everything as I can't bear the idea of it changing once I need to wash the finished quilt. What are your thoughts? Any quilt in my house will eventually have to have milk/tea/wine/chocolate/cats washed off it at regular intervals.


Now the cats are not huge fans of sitting on my lap (I think they know how much I want them too) preferring to roost on my daughter instead. However, my lap with a semi-bound quilt in progress was irresistible.


I adore this quilt, I think through a combination of how much time and effort has been spent on it and the sheer number of favourite fabrics that it contains.


I am pleased that I didn't attempt to replace the middle greeny/gold pieces with something just gold in the end. It looks OK, I would have ruined it in the process, and it's a reminder to slow down and go with my gut feeling next time I am picking out fabrics. 


I love the grey comma fabric that I used as a big frame, it arrived just in time and I worked hard to fussy cut the last border.


And even though I finished the quilt in half term at the end of May, I have pretty much had it on the bed every night to warm me during the cold English summers.


It gets a bit of use during the day too. And I have been left with quite a few large scraps so onto the next quilt to use them up. The kids have started asking 'where is this quilt for mummy?' so I have given them the answer 'it's for the car' it's the only part of our extended home without a quilt so far.


4 comments:

  1. I love it, and love mine for the same reason. Never spent so long or so much effort on a quilt before, and not likely to again for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is just beautiful - great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! And a very sweet photo of your cat under it :)

    ReplyDelete